My Nursing Journey: Part 1


Hey everyone!
Today I thought I would write a post about my nursing journey. I have been asked so many times why I became a nurse, and to be honest my story isn’t that compelling. I’ve thought of making up this elaborate story about how I always knew I was supposed to be a nurse after an emotional and momentous occasion in my youth, however I have decided to stick to the truth. (I just made you so excited to read this didn't I... lol)

It all started with an episode of House…
It’s true. As if everything in my life wasn’t already super cliché, my earliest memory of being interested in the medicine field was watching early episodes of House with my dad. Prior to this, I was convinced I was going to be a lawyer. I remember watching the episodes and already so
interested in trying to figure out what was going on with the case on the episode. I loved the way the doctors were able use their knowledge and resources to piece together the patient’s mysterious symptoms to come to a conclusion and ultimately help improve the life of the patient. I then took an Anatomy and Physiology class my Junior year of high school, and after that I was hooked. I didn’t necessarily know what I wanted to do in medicine, but I figured I was interested in it so, why not?

Thank God for good advertising…
To be honest, when I was applying to colleges nursing wasn’t 100% on my radar. I applied to 13 schools! I applied to a variety of physician assistant programs, biology, and nursing programs, but I figured I would just do a PA program, I liked the idea of getting more bang for my buck and being done in 5-6 years. The college application process was also super overwhelming for me, which is why I applied so many places. I just wasn’t sure what kind of place I wanted to be. I barely even visited any schools. Originally, I was convinced I wanted to go to Northeastern University in Boston (almost to the point of obsession). My cousin went there and I loved the idea of living in a city, especially Boston.
But then I got the single most important piece of mail I’ve ever gotten. I received a promotional booklet for Saint Anselm College in Manchester, NH. I had heard of the school before, as my sister had applied there about 6 years earlier. The booklet had beautiful picturesque photos of the campus, ivy covered buildings and kids in sweatshirts laughing. They also had a “day in the life” concept in the booklet that for some reason intrigued me so much. Looking back I have no idea why, but something about it made me so excited, I knew I needed to go visit, so I dragged my parents to the campus after we took a ski trip weekend to New Hampshire that winter of my senior year (how convenient).
I remember the day we visited campus, it was rainy and gross but from the second we pulled up Saint Anselm Drive and past the New Hampshire Institute of Politics, I knew this was where I belonged. We took a tour, and then ate lunch at the Coffee Shop on campus (which, to this day has the best buffalo chicken ever… so there’s that). I turned to my mom and said “there’s kids in North Face jackets and wellies… this is my home”.
And that was it! This school had a nursing program, so nursing was what I was going to do!

The rest was history…
My years at Saint Anselm College were hands down the best ever. I made the best friends and wouldn’t change any of it for the world. As for nursing, I can’t imagine doing anything else. It’s
funny to think back and think that I chose a school and then just kind of fell into nursing. The faculty and professors at the SAC nursing program were so supportive and encouraging of everyone’s individual passions. The cool thing about nursing is seeing where all of my fellow classmates have ended up after we all obtained the same degree.


Thanks for reading! I would love to hear about your nursing/ college story! Let me know in the comments!

Xoxo, Bethany

No comments

Back to Top